Excessively dry skin can put a great dampener on the overall appearance of the person. Dry skin lacks the glow and the sheen of normal skin.
It can become easily scratched and cracked, due to which there could be bruises on the skin even with slight frictions. Dry skin also loses its natural color.
For all these reasons, it is very necessary to get dry skin treated as soon as possible.
Dry Skin Causes
Dry skin is generally caused due to environmental conditions. It is observed in cold weather, when the climate is too dry and cool. Since the climate is dry, it absorbs the water content of the skin, due to which it becomes dry.
Useful Herbs and Plants in The Treatment of Dry Skin
1. Aloe Vera (Aloe Vera): Aloe Vera replenishes the skin by providing the nutrients it lacks. Its extracts are used for massaging the skin.
2. Apple (Malus Domestica): Apple contains potassium and tannin which are both necessary to maintain the healthy texture of the skin. Apple not only removes the dryness of the skin, but also makes it appear shinier.
3. Cucumber (Cucumis Sativus): Cucumber is beneficial if the dryness is especially over the face. The juices of the cucumber have a cooling effect on the face. Also the juices provide the lost water content to the face and reduce its dryness.
Dietary Treatments for Dry Skin
4. Cook your food in a little fat. The food must not be totally dry.
5. If the dry skin is a result of cold weather, then eat foods that are heavy on the stomach. But do not use much spices.
6. If the dry skin is a result of hot weather, then eat light foods that are easy to digest. Use more fibers in the diet.
7. Sweet foods are good for dry skin.
8. Eat lots of fruits. Consume more of the sweet foods to build up the starch content in the skin.
9. The best condiments and spices to be used in the diet are cumin, coriander and turmeric. These soothe the skin.
10. Water is the most important part of the diet for correcting dry skin. About 7 to 8 glasses of water must be consumed in a day. But the water should be at room temperature.
11. Avoid alcohol and caffeine-containing beverages since they can make the skin drier.
12. In order to reduce the dryness of the skin, massage therapy must be used. Any herbal oil will do for the massage. Almond, avocado and olive oils are the best. The whole skin must be massaged and fingers must be used to dig deeper so as to pass the oil into the skin. After the massage, you must wait for about half an hour (keep the massaged skin exposed to the air if possible) and then go for a bath. The period helps the oil to permeate into the skin.
13. If the dryness is on the face, then make a paste of about a teaspoonful of rose water and two of honey. Smear this paste nicely on the face. Let it remain for a couple of minutes and then wash it off with slightly warm water.
14. Mayonnaise gives good results when applied on the dry skin and let be for some time.
15. An apple can be used for treating excessive dryness of the skin. Cut an apple in half and run its fleshy part on the skin. Apply a bit of pressure and squeeze the apple onto the skin to let its juices flow in.
16. Do not use tap water for washing the face. Tap water contains chloride ions which may harm the dry skin. Use mineral water instead. In a similar manner, do not use an ordinary soap on the skin. There are soaps available with moisturizers. Use them when having your bath.
Maintain a proper daily regimen. Try to get up at a fixed time each morning and go to bed at a fixed time. The adage ‘Early to bed and early to rise makes a person healthy, wealth and wise’ is very true in the case of dry skin.
Regular exercise is also important. Exercise makes the blood circulate better, due to which the nutrients are transported to all parts of the body. This will make the skin moister.
Skin Care Solutions
Mankind has been coping with ailments since the beginning of its existent. Home remedies have often proved useful and passed along for many generations. Some home remedies have been improving and changing with current fashion.
Always Try to Help Yourself First with Home Remedies
Even though the medical field has developed a lot in the last century, we often see the home remedies to be the most effective solution. Some home remedies for dry skin, in particular, are known for their effectiveness.
Home remedies for dry skin are widespread mainly because they are not risky or dangerous nor are they expansive. So don’t spend your hard earned money on doctors.
Dry Skin Causes
Dry skin typically happens in most people during the winter season. Dryness typically occurs because your skin lacks moisture. This means that there is a lack of water in your skin.
In the past various magazines have suggested home remedies for dry skin like drinking at least eight glasses of water a day will cure this ailment. However, medical professionals have proven this home remedy false, this will basically keep your body hydrated, not your skin.
Advice from Healthcare Professionals
Instead, medical professionals suggest that the best way to re-hydrate the skin is to soak it in water, rather than take water in by mouth. Soaking for a short period of something like fifteen minutes in lukewarm water could put water back into the skin and help to ease the dryness.
Doctors also remind patients with dry skin that bathing everyday can be negative for their condition. In fact, patients with excessively dry skin must only bathe every other day in cooler water than normal.
Moisturizers for Dry Skin
Perhaps the most helpful thing a person may do at home for dry skin is to moisturize. Moisturizing skin with a moisturizing lotion will help immensely. The lubrication of the lotion will almost immediately be sucked into dry skin.
Moisturizing lotion put on the skin after a bath or shower will also help contain the moisture from the bath or shower in the skin. The moisturizing lotion will also work to moisturize by itself which gives your skin twice the hydration.
There are a number of home remedies for dry skin available for all. For people who have tried conventional medical products and have found that they did not work, home remedies for dry skin may be worth trying out.
There are a number of home remedy books available at most book stores that will likely hold even more home remedy ideas for dry skin.