You’ll hear a lot about deadly diseases out there like cancer, and even some types of influenza, but diabetes has taken a back seat in terms of importance.
If you’re one of the many people who have diabetes, then you know this disease takes a back seat for no one. Read this article and use these tips to help manage your lifestyle.
- Apples are so good for you if you’re diabetic! They give you something sweet to beat a sugar craving, and they’re high in fiber, which will help you keep your weight down. They don’t provide a large blood sugar spike after eating, so they can give you a ton of energy without causing you any health problems.
- Stress can wreak havoc on a Diabetic’s mental health, but it will also cause problems physically as well. Try to do stress-relieving activities like exercise, yoga, or deep breathing exercises at the end of the day or during any situation that is particularly stressful to keep yourself calm, cool, and collected.
- Going for a walk, jog, or run with your dog, is an excellent way to exercise and help keep your diabetes under control. It will also help your dog stay at a healthy weight, which can save you both heartache and money on vet bills. You’ll motivate each other to keep going!
- Diabetics don’t have to give up that sweet tooth just because of their condition. There are many websites available that offer sugar-free recipes and ideas for cakes, cookies and other sweet snacks.
- Grocery and health food stores also have sections especially arranged for sugar-free and diabetic sweets.
- People who eat at least two servings of dairy a day are less likely to develop insulin resistance, even if they’re significantly over weight.
- Even if you’re already Diabetic, including lots of low-fat dairy in your diet will help you to keep your blood sugar levels under control all day.
- To tackle your diabetes head-on, assemble a medical team. In addition to your primary care provider, you should see other doctors like a ophthalmologist, an ophthalmologist, and even a registered dietitian.
- Make sure your team communicates with one another so that you can get the best possible care. If you’re concerned your insurance won’t cover other types of doctors, ask your general practitioner to give you a referral.
- It is important that you know how to use your insulin pump. Many people do not get the proper amount of insulin because they are not using their pump correctly. If you do not know what you are doing, do not feel ashamed to ask your doctor or another health professional, for help.
- Just like you’re able to buy generic diabetic prescriptions and stay healthy, generic food items can be just as good as their brand name counterparts. Saving money is important to everyone, especially when you’re on a relatively strict diet.
- If you’re going to buy the generic brand, compare the ingredient list and nutrition data to the brand name to make sure you’re getting the same quality.
As you read in the opening, diabetes isn’t one of the more important diseases out there in the mainstream. But that doesn’t mean it shouldn’t be incredibly important to you, especially if you have the disease.
Just getting by isn’t enough. You can thrive with this disease if you use tips like the ones you just read.