Improving your credit score can mean qualifying for lower interest rates and better terms.
That’s true whether you need a good credit score to borrow money for personal reasons (a home loan, a car loan, to get a credit card, etc) or so you can purchase inventory, lease a facility, etc., to start or grow your business.
The problem is, credit repair is a little like improving your professional network: You only think about it when it matters. But if you don’t have good credit, it’s nearly impossible to correct that situation overnight.
How You Can Fix Your Credit
The thought of credit can be very intimidating for some people who may not know as much about credit as they would like but know how influential it can be when determining if someone will be approved for a loan or not.
However, by reading the following article, you can learn some information that will help you.
- Avoid closing credit accounts. You should try to keep credit accounts open because they will make your credit report better. Closing them may cause your credit to appear bad or like you don’t have a credit history. Having credit accounts that have been open for awhile can make your credit report better.
- Avoid getting involved with credit repair agencies. Most of the time these companies will offer to make your credit better by consolidating your debt. These agencies will usually charge you fees that will cost you more in the end. Try taking care of the debts yourself to save some money.
- Carefully examine your credit report for any discrepancies. Sometimes it is possible to have items that are not correct reported on your credit report. That is why it is important to check your report to make sure all the information is correct and accurate. You should look it over twice to make sure you don’t miss anything.
- Show that you have stability with your credit. You can do this by making sure you pay all your bills on time. You can also show stability by making sure to keep long standing credit accounts open. This will show your credit history and show that you have stability with your credit.
- Avoid paying a credit repair agency in advance. Many times, credit repair agencies are scams and should be avoided at all costs. You can usually take care of your credit problems on your own and without the help of a credit repair agency that will charge you an expensive fee.
- To help you repair your credit you should dispute any inaccurate items on your report. Like most things in life, mistakes can be made, and that certainly applies to your credit report. Disputing these inaccuracies is as simple as sending the credit bureaus a letter as to what the mistake is. So start those letters to begin repairing your credit!
- Avoid obtaining any additional credit cards. When you have an inquiry into your credit report it can make your credit appear bad. You should avoid applying for any additional credit for this reason. You should also be concerned about taking care of the credit cards you already have instead of getting additional credit.
- To help repair your credit you should cut up all of your credit cards except for one. Having too many credit cards will increase your debt to income ration and that is a negative on your credit report. Only use one card for emergency, business or travel purposes and that is it.
- If you want to start repairing your credit, start paying off your highest interest debts first. These are likely the payments that are causing the biggest burden on your finances, so reducing their balances will reduce your interest payments and make it easier to meet your payments in the future. This will surely help you improve your credit!
- When taking steps to repair your credit, avoid closing or even lowering limits on your credit cards. A big part of your overall credit score relates to the ratio of your used and available credit. The lower the percentage of used credit vs. available credit can give your overall score a big boost.
You do not need to worry if you are not completely familiar with the way credit works or if you are not sure how you can repair your credit.
However, there is hope and you can learn the things that you need to do and correct any habits, with the help of this article.