With new juice bars popping up around the country, and many people stocking their kitchens with a home juicer, there’s no doubt juicing is the latest health craze.
Fresh-squeezed and freshly bottled juices have become a popular way to get the health benefits of fruits and vegetables and are also favored by dieters looking to “cleanse” their way to weight loss.
Table of Contents
Health Benefits of Juicing
Juicing is a fantastic way to extract essential vitamins and minerals from all of your favorite fruits and vegetables, creating delicious and healthful beverages in the comfort of your own home.
- Crumple up leafy greens, such as spinach, into tight balls before putting them in your juicer. Your juicer is primarily designed to deal with solid fruits and vegetables, not thin leaves. You will get better results from your juicer if you simulate this effect by squashing your leafy greens before juicing.
- Don’t forget to wash your produce prior to juicing, and use organic products where possible. So many people seem to think that since it’s going to turn into juice, they don’t need to wash their fruits and veggies. Just because it’s liquid, doesn’t mean the chemicals present on the peels are going to go away. Clean your fruits and vegetables thoroughly before juicing.
- When preparing for a juice diet, make sure to stock a LOT of fresh fruits and vegetables! On average, it takes 4.4 pounds of raw fruits and vegetables to make just a single quart of juice, so you’ll need lots. Also make sure to get a large variety of ingredients so that you don’t get bored with the same old juice.
- The best place to find the freshest produce for juicing at great prices is at a local farmer’s market. Often, they are held once a week during the summer and fall months, and you’ll find everything sold on a farm, including meat, eggs, dairy, baked goods, canned goods, and TONS of fresh fruit and vegetables!
- If you absolutely must store your juice after you make it, make sure to store it in a completely air-tight container. Letting air get at it will start a process which breaks down the nutrients in the juice, leaving a tasty but empty drink that won’t provide you with the healthy benefits you were looking for in the first place.
- Remember that vegetable and fruit remnants left on a juicer after juicing have the potential to grow mold quickly. Cleaning it quickly helps stop the growth of mold. Dismantle the juicer clean the parts and rinse with water until clean. If you must use a detergent use one that is very mild.
As you can see, there are many benefits to juicing at home.
With the great variety of fruits and vegetables available, you can begin making your own tasty beverages to give yourself a daily nutritional boost.
Juicing is a fun and simple way to provide your body with extra nutrition. You deserve a healthy lifestyle and juicing is a wonderful way to pamper yourself.